Translate The Page

Sunday 15 April 2012

My connection with Omar Khayyam !

I must have been in class seven when my dad made me and my elder sister join some painting classes.Some how before the teacher could teach us oils I was ready with my oil painting,when he tried teaching us waters next day, I went with water colour painting  and guess what I had painted , inadvertently Omar Khayyam. From that particular day onwards he started ignoring me and for several years I wondered why  did he not appreciate my work. Later  I gifted that painting to my neighbour, by the time I realised what I had painted it was too late and ever since then I started reading about this great man and his works. The painting still haunts me, at times I wish I could get it back !

Here are  few beautiful lines by Omar Khayyam thought of sharing with you all


                                                 



Thou hast said that Thou wilt torment me,
But I shall fear not such a warning.
For where Thou art, there can be no torment,
And where Thou art not, how can such a place exist?
The rotating wheel of heaven within which we wonder,
Is an imaginable lamp of which we have knowledge by similitude.
The sun is the candle and the world the lamp,
We are like forms revolving within it.
A drop of water falls in an ocean wide,
A grain of dust becomes with earth allied;
What doth thy coming, going here denote?
A fly appeared a while, then invisible he became.
credits  wikipedia

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Alka for bringing Omar Khayyam back to me today. I read him long back but your post makes me feel like doing it again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure Amit these r v popular lines...just a reminder !

      Delete
  2. Khayyam was one of a kind! What was your painting teacher's aversion to him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well , suresh he had no aversion to him..his problem was me , my inbuilt talent to paint LOL !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb lines by gr8 poet and mathematician............

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment good bad or ugly doesnt matter just let me know that you were here

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...